This cake is coming from a book called The Cookbook by Ottolenghi.
I don't know the restaurant in London but I like the different influences of the book's authors.
This cake is very pleasant, in France we cal that a family cake.
It is generous, his soft dough remains about 3 of 4 days the same if you wrap it in a cling film.
SPICE APPLE AND PEAR CAKE
Prep : 20 mn
Cooking : 50-55 mn
Serves 8 :
- 100 g apple peel and diced
- 150 g pear peel and diced
- 4 tbsp nuts rawly mixed
- Zest of 1 lemon grated
- 210 g flour
- 4 g chimical yeast
- 4 g cinnamon
- 1,5 g ground cloves powder
- 45 g almond powder
- 2 eggs (white and yolks separate)
- 1 yolk
- 18 cl canola oil
- 230 g caster sugar
- A pitch of salt
- Butter for the cake pan
- Preheat the oven 170°C.
- In a bowl, mix the apple and pear cut with the nuts.
- In an other bowl, mix all the dried ingredients (flour, ground cloves, yeast, cinnamon, almonds).
- With a fork, battre the yolks beat the yolks and the egg.
- Beat also high speed the oil and the sugar during 1 minute, then add the eggs slowly.
- Pour the dried ingredients on this mix and beat again until homogeneous.
- Add the fruits beating always.
- Whip the eggs withe until stiff, add them in 3 times quite quickly (it does’nt mind if it stays some white parts).
- Fill the cake pan with the cake pastry and cook for 50 minutes.
- Let cool before turning out.